February 4, 2021
Romans 12:4-8 4 For as we have many members in one body, but all the members do not have the same function, 5 so we, being many, are one body in Christ, and individually members of one another. 6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, let us prophesy in proportion to our faith; 7 or ministry, let us use it in our ministering; he who teaches, in teaching; 8 he who exhorts, in exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness.
We each are given unique Spiritual gifts as determined by the will of the Holy Spirit. Last week we covered some of these gifts and put on the website a list of some of the Gifts of the Holy Spirit. I hope you had a chance to look over the list and maybe figure out what gift or gifts you have been given. This week we will look at how you use your gifts and why you should use your gift(s).
WHAT DO I USE MY SPIRITUAL GIFTS FOR?
First you need to seek the Lord to to reveal your gift(s) to you, then you will know how to use them: (Ps 100:2; James 2:14-16)
- What gifts has the Lord revealed to you? (see Spiritual Gifts Definition guide)
- What brings you joy or happiness?
- What seems really easy for you to do. It just comes naturally, without much effort?
- What gifts might the Lord be revealing to you that you don’t think comes natural or easy?
- Use your gifts to serve the Lord by:
- service to your church
- service to your family
- service to your neighbors or co-workers
- service to your community
1 Peter 4:10 As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.
HOW DO I USE MY SPIRITUAL GIFTS FOR:
- Neighbors, Co-workers?
- Pray to the Lord how God wants you to use your gift(s)
- Look for opportunities and places to serve that enable you to use your gift(s)
- Try using what you think the Lord is revealing to you
WHAT ARE SOME WAYS YOU CAN USE YOUR SPIRITUAL GIFTS?
James 1:17-18, 17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning. 18 Of His own will He brought us forth by the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of His creatures.
YOUR GIFTS ARE UNIQUE FOR YOU!!
1 Cor. 12:20-27, 20 But now indeed there are many members, yet one body. 21 And the eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you”; nor again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.” 22 No, much rather, those members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary. 23 And those members of the body which we think to be less honorable, on these we bestow greater honor; and our unpresentable parts have greater modesty, 24 but our presentable parts have no need. But God composed the body, having given greater honor to that part which lacks it, 25 that there should be no schism in the body, but that the members should have the same care for one another. 26 And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; or if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it. 27 Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually.
- Beware of gift comparison
- Be content with your own Spiritual gift
- Don’t feel your gift(s) are superior to others
- Don’t feel someone else’s gift is superior to yours
HOW CAN YOU SERVE YOUR CHURCH AND OTHERS WITH YOUR GIFTS TODAY? (Galatians 6:1-2)
As a disciple I am a witness for Jesus Christ
As a disciple I am to:
- Be Served